A groundbreaking gum recession treatment at Wichita Family Dental
What is Gum Recession?
Gum recession is the loss of tissue along the gumline due to periodontal diseases, insufficient dental care, aging, tobacco use, teeth grinding and clenching, and abrasive teeth brushing habits. When the gums recede, the root of the tooth is exposed which may lead to a buildup of bacteria and tooth decay. Untreated gum recession may result in tooth loss and severe health complications. The first sign of gum recession is often tooth sensitivity. Healthy gums are an important part of keeping your mouth healthy, so detecting and treating gum recession early is equally essential.
What is the traditional option for Gum Recession?
Traditional treatment for gum recession involves grafting gum tissue from your palate to cover the exposed root. It requires multiple incisions and sutures which can result in pain and a long recovery period.
What is the Chao Pinhole® Surgical Technique (PST)?
The Chao Pinhole® Surgical Technique is a groundbreaking and minimally invasive treatment for gum recession. It is incision and suture free. During the procedure, your Wichita Family Dental doctor will use a needle to make small hole in your existing gum tissue. Through this ‘pinhole,’ a special instrument will be used to loosen, expand, and slide the tissue down to cover the exposed root structure of your tooth. There are no grafts, sutures, or incisions, so the treatment has a faster recovery time than grafting. It creates natural and long-lasting cosmetic results and patients have reported experiencing minimal discomfort and swelling. Most pinholes heal within 24 hours. Most importantly, it instantly reduces the risk of tooth decay as a result of gum recession.
The Top 5 Benefits of the Chao Pinhole® Surgical Technique (PST)
- It can correct gum recession in as little as 1 treatment and most sessions take only 1-2 hours.
- It is graft-free, suture-free, and scalpel-free which means minimal discomfort and swelling.
- In most cases, the pinholes heal in 24 hours. Patients report returning to normal light activities within 24-48 hours.
- It can prevent tooth loss and the need for costly procedures like dental implants or dentures. It has long-lasting results per the International Journal of Periodontology & Restorative Dentistry (October 2012).
- It can enhance your appearance. Many patients describe feeling happier and more confident in their smile post-procedure.
The Chao Pinhole® Surgical Technique (PST) in the News
The Chao Pinhole® Surgical Technique has been featured on “The Doctors Show,” “Dr. Steve Show,” “ABC,” “NBC,” and over 240 other stations in the United States and Canada. Only a Pinhole® Academy certified dentist can offer this technique. The doctors at Wichita Family Dental are Pinhole® Academy certified.