POST-OPERATIVE INSTRUCTIONS FOR PINHOLE SURGERY
1. NO BRUSHING OR FLOSSING over surgical sites(s). (Water-Pik ONLY from tongue-side on low).
2. NO TOUCHING with finger, tongue or any other device or object such as cotton swabs, cloth, etc.
3. Non-Alcohol based mouth rinse may be used, however no vigorous swishing should be done. We recommend sloshing rinse from side to side with lips apart (NO extending of cheeks)
4. No manipulation of the lips or cheeks surrounding surgical sites (Example: pulling cheek to look at surgical sites)
6. Do not apply pressure to surgical site, including sleep with hands under the cheek where surgery was done, facial massages or skin treatments
7. Absolutely NO spitting, blowing, etc. (Including wind instruments)
8. Do not keep mints, candy, throat lozenges, etc. on surgical sites.
9. No smoking, chewing tobacco, cigar, pipe or recreational drugs.
10. Avoid all strenuous activity, high intensity exercise, and heavy lifting for 3 weeks.
11. No snorkeling for 6 months
12. Continue to wear all prescribed bite appliances as instructed. Please be sure to notify us if you are currently wearing any Invisalign® or removable orthodontic retainers.
13. Avoid clenching and/or grinding teeth. If you begin to notice this happening, notify our office ASAP
14. Keep ice placed gently on the outside of cheek over surgical sites in ten minute intervals for the first 48hours – This will help to minimize swelling.
15. Avoid crunchy and/or sticky foods that can get stuck on or in between your teeth and hinder healing.
Post-operative swelling and bruising is normal, but please notify us with any concerns
Cold sensitivity can be expected for the initial 6+ weeks after procedure. Be sure to report sensitivity at follow up appointments.
It is recommended to take one tablet of Acetaminophen (Tylenol) in conjunction with NSAID (Ibuprofen/Motrin) to decrease post-operative pain and swelling. Other pain control regimen may be given by the doctor if needed.
Call our office IMMEDIATELY if you have significant pain, bleeding, or a feeling of heat/warmth from surgical site.
Patient MUST return to our office for all follow up appointments. (24hr, 1 week, 3 weeks, 6 weeks, 3 months, 6 months). Further instructions for oral care will be given at 6 month appointment