Wichita Dentist – Oral Health Is Overall Health
If you think your oral health has nothing to do with your overall health – think again. Your mouth is an entry point to the rest of your body and scientists continue to find links between our teeth and our wellbeing. Here is just some of what we know:
- There may be 700 species of bacteria living, feeding, and reproducing in your mouth right now. All 700 of them can reproduce every FIVE hours! Most of these bacteria are harmless but some can cause diseases.
- That bacterium in your mouth can turn into plaque and then harden into tartar. Tarter is a leading cause of gingivitis.
- Gingivitis, if left untreated, can lead to periodontitis, or inflammation of the gums and supporting structures of the teeth. Untreated periodontitis may lead to severe tooth loss and more.
- Ongoing inflammation of the gums caused by periodontitis can allow bacteria to enter your bloodstream, which may lead to inflammation in other parts of your body, up to and including your heart.
- Scientists have linked oral infections to serious diseases, including cardiovascular disease, stroke, and bacterial pneumonia.
Good oral health habits and regular visits to your Wichita Family Dental dentist can help prevent oral infections. We can also treat gingivitis and periodontitis before it worsens.
Comments are closed.