Wichita Family Dental
If you have crowded or crooked teeth, you may have been told you have a “bad bite.” Even if your teeth look straight, your upper and lower teeth may not fit together properly. Crooked teeth and bite problems can often be solved with orthodontic treatments like braces or aligners. There’s no need to live with the embarrassment of a crooked smile. Orthodontic treatments lead to a healthy, beautiful smile at all ages!
Why Do I Need Braces?
Not only can crowded or crooked teeth cause one to be embarrassed about their smile, but it can also cause tooth decay, gum disease, and even tooth loss. It’s important to fix issues like this before the problem of decay or disease arises, to prevent more extensive treatment from being needed.
Types of Orthodontic Treatment
• Braces: Braces move teeth by applying pressure. The braces often consist of small brackets cemented to your teeth and then connected by a wire or rubber bands. The wires are regularly tightened by your dentist or orthodontist to gradually shift your teeth and jaws. The brackets may be metal or tooth colored.
• Aligners: Aligners are made of clear plastic or acrylic material and are worn over your teeth to straighten them. Each set of custom-made aligners is worn for a few weeks to a month. Then you get a new set for the next stage of your treatment. This way, your teeth are gradually moved into the correct position according to your treatment plan.
Am I Too Old for Braces?
No matter your age, it’s never too late to improve your dental health and your smile! Both children and adults can benefit from orthodontic treatments like braces and aligners. Usually, an adult’s treatment takes a little longer than a child’s treatment, but you will still see the same beautiful results.
What to Expect
Most people wear braces or aligners for one to three years, depending on the corrections needed. After done with the treatment, you’ll wear retainers to hold the teeth in their new positions. A tiny bit of discomfort will be expected during treatment, but today’s braces are more comfortable than in the past.
Do’s and Don’ts of Braces
• Keep your teeth clean when wearing braces. Brushing and flossing remove plaque. If plaque is not removed regularly it could lead to tooth decay or gum disease.
• Replace your toothbrush every three months, or sooner if the bristles are frayed. Worn toothbrushes won’t clean teeth properly.
• Go to all of your orthodontic appointments. If you delay any adjustments, your treatment will take longer.
• Keep visiting your regular dentist for cleanings and exams. Your dentist checks your teeth for loss of minerals in the enamel and decay. They will also look for gum disease and changes in the oral tissues.
• Eat foods that could get stuck in your braces or bend wires. These foods include nuts, corn on the cob, popcorn, hard candy, ice, and sticky foods like chewing gum, caramel, or other chewy candy. Ask your dentist about which foods to avoid.
• Eat too many sugary foods. This can lead to tooth decay around the brackets that could permanently stain or damage your teeth.
• Play sports and active games without wearing a mouth guard. A guard can protect your mouth and jaw from getting hurt. Your dentist can suggest a proper mouth guard to wear with your braces.
Orthodontic treatment can seem long, but the results are 100% worth it! You won’t want to wait to show off your new, beautiful smile to everyone!
Call Wichita Family Dental at (316)630-9339 to schedule your orthodontic consultation today, you won’t regret it!
If you have missing teeth, dentures may be a good fit for you.
What are Dentures?
A denture is an appliance that is inserted in the mouth to replace your natural teeth.
At Wichita Family Dental, we offer two different kinds of dentures, complete and immediate. Complete dentures are for patients who have lost all of their teeth. Immediate dentures are for patients who still have some natural teeth.
Why Do I Need Dentures?
Missing teeth, especially a loss of all teeth, can not only cause embarrassment but also facial collapse (see photo below). When teeth are lost and not replaced, the face looks older. The lips appear thin and flattened. The chin moves forward and upward and appears pointed. Also, the mouth loses some of its shape, and the lip line straightens. Pouches become pronounced on either side of the lower jaw. Cracks and sores may form at the corners of the mouth.
At Wichita Family Dental, both complete and immediate dentures can be completed in just one day. Our immediate dentures require approximately 5 hours for imaging, creation, and placement while complete dentures require approximately 8 hours.
Dentures at Wichita Family Dental are of the highest quality. We offer heat injected dentures which have a 15% tighter fit than cold pour dentures. They are less porous, have a smoother appearance, and are 100% customizable. Your teeth can be made in a wide variety of shapes and colors. You will love your new smile!
We also offer partial dentures. A removable partial denture can replace one or more missing teeth. It may limit the shifting of your existing teeth and allow you to continue to chew and speak as you did before losing your teeth.
There are alternatives to dentures for missing teeth including bridges and implants.
A bridge is a restoration that fills the space where one or more teeth have been lost. A fixed bridge is permanently bonded or cemented into a place – this means that only your dentist can remove it. At Wichita Family Dental we offer both fixed and removable bridges.
Dental implants are metal “roots” that are surgically placed in your jaw where they function as a sturdy anchor for replacement teeth. They are made of titanium and other materials that are accepted by your body. Many people choose implants to replace a single tooth, but they can be used to replace several or all teeth.
We offer all of these tooth replacement options at Wichita Family Dental and we are happy to answer any questions you have about them. Call us at 316-630-9339.
Photo: American Dental Association
A new baby is an exciting time in a family’s life! You can start, even before a baby is born, to protect their oral health. Decay-causing bacteria can be passed from a mother to her unborn child, so a healthy diet and good brushing and flossing techniques can prevent dental disease in both your child’s and your future.
As your baby starts to have their first teeth appear you can wipe their gums with a damp cloth to remove any plaque or leftover food to protect new teeth after each feeding. You can also begin brushing their teeth twice a day as soon as teeth appear. To protect their sensitive gums and new teeth, use a soft-bristled, child-sized toothbrush, and a grain-of-rice-sized amount of toothpaste.
When can I make my child’s first dental appointment?
You can call us at Wichita Family Dental to make your child’s first dental visit. It’s important to have their first appointment after their first tooth appears, but no later than their first birthday.
At their first visit, we will:
• Review your child’s health history
• Do a complete oral exam
• Clean the teeth and show you how to properly clean your child’s teeth at home
• Discuss teething, pacifier use, or finger/thumb sucking habits
• Discuss treatment if needed and schedule the next check-up
As your child grows and more teeth appear it is important to brush twice a day for two minutes and floss every day. Brushing alone can’t reach all of the grooves between your teeth, so flossing is a very important step to good dental hygiene.
Diet and Your Child’s Teeth
What your child eats and how often they eat it can affect their teeth. Bacteria and sugar make acids that attack the teeth and cause tooth decay over time. Try to avoid sugary foods and drinks in your child’s diet. Offer water and healthy foods like fruit, vegetables, or cheese instead of sugary soda, juice, or snacks. Limiting between-meal snacks is a great way to prevent tooth decay. If your child does have a sugary snack or drink, have them rinse their mouth out with water after consuming the sugary food and brush their teeth, if possible, to prevent it from sitting on the teeth for a long period of time.
Remember, don’t wait to take your child to the dentist until pain or a dental emergency happens. Regular dental exams and professional cleanings can help your child have a lifetime of healthy smiles!
If you have any questions about your child’s dental health or first dental visit, feel free to call Wichita Family Dental at (316) 330-3821.
Everyone wants to have well-aligned teeth and a perfect smile. However, there are a number of orthodontic treatments to choose from, which can make it difficult to decide which one will work best for you.
We at Wichita Family Dental are the dental office that provides excellent orthodontic services. Many of our patients have heard about Smile Direct Club and the treatments they offer. They want to know how Invisalign treatment at our office differs from the former and which one they should opt for.
Our East Wichita dentists like to keep our patients informed about the different options available, what their pros and cons are and more. If you are having trouble deciding whether you should opt for Invisalign or Smile Direct Club, here is some information that can help:
What is Invisalign?
- In Invisalign treatment, clear aligner trays are used to provide results similar to traditional metal braces.
- These trays are virtually invisible and you can use them confidently in any professional or social setting, without feeling conscious about your smile.
- The lightweight and smooth plastic used in making the aligners is comfortable to use. Once you get used to these custom-made aligners, you won’t even know you are wearing them.
- They won’t affect your speech or slip out.
What Is Smile Direct Club?
- This company, too, uses clear aligners to help people gradually achieve better aligned teeth.
- Their services are designed to eliminate visits to a dental office.
- They focus on providing aligners and allowing the treatments to be completed by the patients, at their home.
- When you opt for orthodontic treatment from Smile Direct Club, you first need to locate a “SmileShop” in your vicinity.
- Your dental impressions will be taken at the SmileShop
- They give you the option to receive a dental impression kit via mail too.
- Once they receive your dental impressions, the aligners will be delivered to your doorstep.
Smile Direct Club- The Disadvantages
- Locating a SmileShop in your vicinity.
- Waiting on mail for the aligners.
- Dealing with the messy molds at home.
- Making multiple post office visits.
- Anonymous professionals handling your treatment.
- Added equipment costs.
Is Invisalign or Smile Direct Club a Better Option?
As you can see, there are some distinct differences between Invisalign and Smile Direct Club. Smile Direct Club eliminates the need for supervision by a dental professional during the course of the treatment.
With Invisalign, your East Wichita dentistwill be there to determine whether the aligners are working as they should and your teeth are moving as required.
The American Dental Association (ADA) strongly discourages the use of DIY orthodontics because it can result in more harm than good. Supervision by a certified Wichita dentist is crucial for all phases of your orthodontic treatment including:
- Periodontal and oral examinations
- Treatment planning
- Periodic progress evaluations
- Stable final assessment
During the examinations, if your dentist finds that the treatment isn’t delivering the expected results, they may recommend you switch to some other treatment like braces. Consistent supervision by our Wichita dentists helps ensure the overall health of your teeth. This prevents unnecessary complications like tooth loss etc.
Wichita Family Dental specializes in Invisalign treatments. As leading dentists, our team is highly experienced and knowledgeable in all forms of orthodontic treatment and care. The supervised treatment you receive from us helps achieve the best possible results.
We use the latest technology in our work and your Invisalign aligners will be custom-made at the most advanced labs. Invisalign aligners are comfortable, virtually invisible, and removable. They will help you achieve the beautiful smile you’ve always desired.
Your progress will be monitored with regularity and you can get perfectly aligned teeth and a beautiful smile reliably, safely and without any complications. For any more information about our specialized Invisalign services, feel free to call Wichita Family Dental at (316) 330-3960.
There are two types of orthodontic treatment options used to fix misalignment in the teeth, gaps, crookedness, overlapping, etc. While we all want a perfect smile, our natural teeth may be less than perfect. Fortunately, modern-day dental technology is highly advanced, making it possible to fix everything from a severe cross bite to rotated teeth and more. The effectiveness of the treatment is largely dependent on choosing the right option and making sure you get it done at a credible and reputable dental office like ours at Wichita Family Dental.
We provide comprehensive dental treatments and specialize in orthodontics. While dental braces are an excellent option for severe alignment and other similar issues, we also offer Insialign. This revolutionary treatment is extremely effective in fixing minor orthodontic problems. Most of our clients have questions with reference to what these two treatments are and how they stand up against each other.
We strongly believe that our clients need to have the right information on hand, before deciding which solution would work best in their circumstances and suit their lifestyle. Here is some information about traditional metal braces and Invisalign that will help you make a better-informed decision about the treatment you want.
What Are Traditional Braces?
Traditional braces are made of colored resin or metal brackets and wires and are fitted on the teeth in order to align them or shift them into position. Braces are effective in fixing complex orthodontic problems such as rotated teeth, severely crooked teeth, overlapping teeth and more. While they are effective in fixing these problems, there are certain disadvantages to them as well, such as
- Very visible and affect the appearance of your smile
- Not removable except at the dentist’s office
- Can be uncomfortable to wear
- Unsuitable for those participating in contact sports. An impact to the face can cause the wires and brackets to cut the inside of the mouth
- Treatment can take two or more years
- Difficult to clean
- You can’t eat foods such as corn, candy etc. as these foods become lodged in the braces
If your teeth are severely misaligned or you have some other complex orthodontic problem, your Wichita dentist might recommend traditional metal braces. But modern-day, innovative treatments like Invisalign are increasingly becoming the preferred option by many.
Why Opt For Invisalign?
Invisalign is a patented technology used in orthodontic treatments. These clear aligner trays help fix minor teeth alignment issues. There are many benefits to getting Invisalign rather than metal braces, such as:
- Almost invisible as they are made of a clear thermoplastic material
- Very comfortable to wear
- Can be removed while eating brushing and flossing
- No sharp edges means worries about nicks and cuts inside the mouth
- Suitable for individuals that participate in contact sports or other similar sports activities
- No concerns about a lisp or any other speech problems
- Shorter treatment duration compared to traditional braces
Is Invisalign a Suitable Treatment Option for You?
As you can see, there are a number of benefits to opting for Invisalign vs. metal braces. They provide help for those who wish to obtain perfectly aligned teeth while still feeling more comfortable in social settings. However, it’s important to keep in mind that Invisalign isn’t for those with severe misalignment problems.
Our Wichita Family Dental doctor in Wichita would be able to provide you objective advice on which option will work best for you. We provide the best orthodontics treatments in our state-of-the-art clinic in Wichita. You will find that our staff is friendly, helpful, and compassionate.
Our dentist will work very closely with you and provide a customized solution that suits your lifestyle and fits your budget. When you choose us as your dentists in Wichita, you have the assurance that you’ll get superior dental treatment solutions at cost-effective pricing. To schedule an appointment or for any queries, please call Wichita Family Dental at this number- (316) 512-2353.
Over the last decade, there has been a significant amount of advancement in the dental space. Regardless of the dental problem you are facing, there will be some specialized treatment for it. Invisalign and dental crowns are very popular treatments and we at Wichita Family Dental provide both these services. Here, we take a look at how Invisalign is different from dental crowns in Wichita.
What Is Invisalign?
Invisalign is essentially clear aligners that are used to straighten misaligned or crooked teeth. They are fast becoming the preferred option in place of traditional braces. As opposed to the latter, that need to be worn for months or even years, Invisalign offers a much faster and effective way to align teeth by shifting them little by little till the time they ultimately get positioned perfectly.
Each aligner is customized for you and you need to wear it for 15 days before it is replaced by the next aligner in that series. It’s important to keep in view that your Wichita dentist won’t recommend Invisalign for severe teeth misalignment and crowding problems. They will first assess the overall condition of your teeth before suggesting this treatment option to you.
Invisalign- The Benefits
Invisalign in Wichita is largely a lifestyle choice that also has a number of benefits including:
- The clear aligners are practically invisible when compared to traditional metal braces.
- Invisalign treatment is far quicker than braces due to the nature of their design. They are able to move multiple teeth simultaneously.
- The aligners don’t have any sharp corners, brackets, and wires which makes it very comfortable to wear even on a daily basis.
- It is easier to maintain oral hygiene when you have Invisalign as you can brush and floss as usual, which isn’t the case when you have braces.
- There are no restrictions around the food you can eat as you need to remove the aligner trays before meals.
- The aligner trays serve a dual purpose because they can also be used as mouthguards during the course of the treatment and after it as well (as whitener trays)
What Are Dental Crowns?
Dental crowns are used in specialized dental restoration treatments. They are essentially prosthetic teeth used to cap dental implants or to encircle existing teeth. A dental crown serves two purposes- it is effective in restoring the integrity & structure of the tooth and also provides very good protection to the tooth under it as well. At our Wichita dental office, the priority is to preserve our patient’s natural teeth.
This means we recommend dental crowns only when they are the best option for you. Dental crowns in Wichita are available in a range of materials such a metal, porcelain over metal, full porcelain, ceramic over metal, and full-ceramic. You might need a dental crown if you have a:
- Dental implant
- Dental bridge
- Root canal
- Worn down tooth
- Severely discolored/damaged tooth
- Tooth with a very large dental filling
Invisalign or Dental Crowns?
As you can see, dental crowns are typically used as a cosmetic dental restorative procedure and can also replace missing teeth. Invisalign treatment has an entirely different purpose and is used to straighten misaligned teeth. If you already have crowns and are considering getting Invisalign treatment you might be wondering whether having crowns will affect that decision. But dental crowns don’t hamper the Invisalign process in any way.
Regardless of whether you need Invisalign or dental crowns or even both, we offer the best services at our dental clinic in Wichita. You are assured of world class dental services in comfortable, hygienic settings. We use state-of-the-art technology in our office and work closely with you to ensure that you get the kind of services you need.
Our excellent dental services come at very competitive pricing. To schedule an appointment or for any queries, please call Wichita Family Dental at this number- (316) 512-2353.
Don’t throw your money away by missing out on valuable dental care before the end of 2018. Call now!
We want to thank you for your trust! Refer friends and family during the month of October for your chance to win a Fire Pit and S’mores Kit just in time for Fall! Remember you can refer people to BOTH the east and west Wichita offices!
We want to thank you for your trust! Refer friends and family during the month of September for your chance to win a portable movie screen, projector, and speakers for an amazing indoor or outdoor home theater experience. Remember you can refer people to BOTH the east and west Wichita offices!